Performs a variety of first-line supervisory and general administrative duties related to preparing, tracking, entering/deleting registered voters, election officials, polling places and voter signature rosters. Assists in election processes following established state guidelines and New Mexico statues. Oversees the daily operations the County Clerk’s Office.
Works under the general supervision of the County Clerk or Chief Deputy Clerk.
Provides close to general supervision to the Election Clerks I and II.
1. Maintains the data processor for electronic election night returns, participates in the sealing and preparation of voting machines and trouble-shooting of electronic voting machines. Certifies voting machine technician for Dominion ICP, ICE and BMD voting systems.
2. Supervises employees by hiring, orienting, scheduling, training, assigning and reviewing work performance, completing performance evaluations, and taking disciplinary action; assists the Probate Judge with files; maintain daily, monthly, and yearly monetary and recording reports.
3. Serves as the County Deputy registration officer for elections; maintains the jurisdiction and precinct tables; conducts elections by helping with election procedures, including set-up of elections in V-Rems; enters and maintains candidates vital information; maintains the issuance of absentee ballots; assists in the ordering of absentee ballots for elections.
4. Interacts with the public concerning voter information and election activities relevant to assigned area and with election officials. Maintains the voter file maintenance section and automated voter registration system. Creates reports and data files required for reporting to the Secretary of State and other requesters. Maintains the jurisdiction and precinct tables.
5. Assists with early voting precinct and election night returns; assists VM Technician in programming and preparing voting machines, runs tests, performs cycling, and screens calibration; assists with preparing the Canvass and Election Night results, and administering the NVA process.
6. Participates in continuing education and training opportunities in order to stay up-to-date with current trends for elections; attends required election school training.
7. May attend County Commission meetings to record proceedings and transcribe records.
8. Performs voter registration and election duties onsite at the Alamo Navajo Reservation.
9. Performs other related duties as required.
1. Education and Experience:
A. Six (6) years of progressively responsible experience within the election division of the department of County Clerk;
B. An equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Considerable knowledge of New Mexico election laws; Socorro County election procedures, processes and political subdivisions (districts, jurisdictions, etc.); election equipment and contemporary office machines such as computer terminals and related software applications, etc.; election filing systems; basic office and personnel management techniques; interpersonal communication skills and public relations; ballot organization and development; contemporary filing and office systems.
Bureau of Elections Administrator, page 2
Ability to read and interpret election maps; perform basic mathematical computations; operate a variety of types of standard to complex office equipment (i.e., computer keyboard, etc.); perform under time pressures in meeting work obligations and deadlines; communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; develop effective working relationships with elected officials, public, and fellow employees; type accurately; operate computer keyboard.
3. Special Qualifications:
Must pass FEMA/NIMS and ICS courses as required for the position, within a time frame designated by administration
Must be able to type (accuracy being emphasized over speed).
Must be able to work abnormal work hours during elections.
Must be a certified voting technician (ICP, ICE & BMD voting systems).
May be required to be a notary public.
4. Work Environment:
Incumbent of the position performs in a typical office setting with appropriate climate controls. Tasks require variety of physical activities, generally involving muscular strain, related to walking, standing, stooping, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing and seeing. Occasional moderate lifting during elections. Rapid work speed required performing keyboard operations. Common eye, hand, finger, leg and foot dexterity required. Mental application utilizes memory for details, verbal instructions, emotional stability, discriminating thinking; guided and creative problem solving. Occasional travel required in the course of performing job duties.